What can water do for you? Are there any health benefits to drinking water, or is it just good for washing down the food during meal times? Well, simply put – water is life. Your body is about 70% water; your brain is about 90%; your blood and body cells are composed of water, and according to CamelBak hydration expert, Doug Casa, Ph.D, “Water makes up about 2/3 of who we are, and influences 100 percent of the processes in our body.”
Water is in us, and all around us. The following are some of the health benefits of water:
1. It helps weight loss: Water makes us feel full and it enhances metabolism, but beyond that it sometimes tricks the brain into thinking it is food after it is consumed, leading to gradual loss of weight.
2. It hydrates the body for people in sports: People engaging in sporting activities lose a lot of fluid that can only be replaced with water. “Once an athlete [knows his or her] sweat rate, they can begin to practice replacing these fluid losses in training and be optimally prepared for [athletic exertion],” Doug Casa.
3. It helps digestion and metabolism within the organs: Water prevents constipation and helps the body to break down food substances. “In the large intestine, water binds with fiber to increase the bulk of the stools, reduce transit time and make elimination easier. When you don’t drink enough water and fluids, the colon pulls water from stools, increasing your risk of constipation,” Geagan said.
4. It is good for the mood and feeling: You feel good after taking water, and it gives you a sense of refreshment and fulfillment. It energizes you and makes you feel alright all again by balancing your body fluid level.
5. It flushes out toxins: Many people have reported feeling okay again and getting relief from smashing headache after consuming water. Water helps your kidney and liver and brain to function maximally by flushing out toxins that could harm them; and it prevents cramps and joint pains. It boosts the immune system, relieves fatigues, and boosts energy levels.
6. It improves skin complexion and color: Water moisturizes your skin and makes it glow from within, keeping it smooth and fresh. It is also great for preventing skin wrinkles, and the freest anti-aging solution in the world.
7. It saves money: That is funny, right? Well, water is free and you don’t really need to pay for it. And even where you buy bottled water, it is still cheaper than buying a bottle of soda or soft drink.